Happy Birthday Mom!


This is my beautiful mother! Today is her birthday. Many people have been blessed by her goodness.
Here are some ways she has blessed my life:

1. She encouraged me to get an education and spent years homeschooling me and all of my siblings instead of doing other fun things she could have been doing. 

2. She always felt that I would go on a mission, and I did too. But the year before I left when I was confused about whether I should go or not, she supported me in the decisions I made without sharing her thoughts or trying to influence me. She is this way whenever I have to make any decision. She shows trust in me so that I can learn to trust myself, and she encourages me to pray so I can come closer to Heavenly Father.

3. She let me bum around the house two times in my life when I found myself unemployed for several months. She was patient and expressed confidence that I would find a job. I'm sure I did because of her prayers.

4. When I decided I was going to travel to Haiti and asked her what she thought, she was again supportive and said that she thought it was a great idea. She knew I would be able to find the funding, even though I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish paying for grad school.

5. I have watched her make dinner for families in need, or watch their children, or give rides to church hundreds of times.

6. She takes in our friends and makes them feel like family. Our friend Dennis who doesn't have a strong family of his own is like an adopted son-of-sorts and my mom is always finding ways to help him feel loved and included.

7. She paid for years and years of piano lessons and encouraged me when I felt like I couldn't do it. I remember she would always take us out for dinner after recitals or competitions to help me feel special.

8. My mom has had a lot of trials in our family, but her faith is firm. She always has so much trust in the Lord despite trials in her life. Here on earth, trusting in the Lord is not always easy, but with a wonderful mother who is so strong, I've been able to hold on because of her example until my own faith was strong enough. 

9. One time I came home after having my heart broken, and on my bed was a letter from my mother with the words of the hymn "Be Still My Soul." That song comes back to me every time I get worked up about something. Without my mom I could not have made it through those months of darkness. She is full of light and helped bring that into my life.

10. And now she's not only a mother, but a grandmother who cares so much about her two granddaughters. My mom's example and love will bless generations to come.

I love you mom and want to be just like you.

Happy Birthday.

Comments

Sizzle said…
I love your mom so hard - I want to be just like her when I grow up, not kidding. And you are so much like her, Ashley - you are both the kind of people that other people feel better just being with/near you. Better in my soul, better in my mood, feel better about myself
. Hmm, reminds me of the Savior - you had a great example in your mom of how to be more like him, and you are as well. I love your guts!
homeblessings said…
Aww Ashley, you are so sweet. What a blessing you are! I know you clearly see all of my bad too, but you choose to focus on the positive and uplift instead of tear down. I so need that in my life and am beyond grateful that we have been blessed with each other! Much thanks for all the kind words and memories! Love you!!!!

Popular Posts