Grand Buddha at Lingshan

Hello Hello! I feel like I'm an official travel blogger now. One of those people who can blog from anywhere and make money... because, well, school's out for summer!! My first official day with no more classes, I went to this giant Buddha statue in Wuxi. Wuxi is famous because of this statue. It's not the tallest, but some of them claim it is. I think it is the tallest, standing Buddha made of the particular material that it is made of. Anyway, Joan is a great friend at church here, and she's headed back to the states tomorrow after living in Suzhou for 2 years. She'd never been to Wuxi, and I hadn't been to see this yet - so we went! And we loved it. There's so much to see at the park - the Buddha, a few Buddhist temples, a fountain/water show and a musical play type thing. I said a little prayer that morning that we would get some sunshine because it's been raining non-stop for weeks - and there was no rain that day! Joan knows a lot about Buddhism because she was able to meet with a monk in Thailand and ask a lot of questions, so I learned a lot. I think so many beliefs of Buddhism are beautiful, but it is sad to me that most of the sites are more for tourism/making money purposes now that for worship. Though I did see some people visiting and praying which was sweet.

Those of Buddhist faith toss coins into these things, and believe that if you can get your coin to stay you get blessings - the higher up you get it, the more blessings. Joan eventually got hers in  (:

It's kind of hard to see, but if you look closely, there are offerings of Vitamin water and other drinks to Buddha here.

Lotus pose

Reverse Warrior or something like that

You can't see it b/c of the grey skies - but out there past the green is Tai Lake (Taihu) - the color of the sky matched the lake that day, but it's the 3rd largest lake in China and looks more like the ocean because you can't see the other side.

2 really pretty temples that we were able to walk through

Comments

Popular Posts