The other day a friend was telling me that she'll be spending a few days in DC soon and is a little scared of DC since she doesn't know it that well. I used to feel the same way! Even after living there for a semester, I'd get nervous when I'd go back up because of the traffic and driving around. Now after many more trips, I feel much more comfortable and DC is one of my favorite cities in the world. Just park outside the city at Pentagon City Mall and metro in, or take Uber and walk everywhere, and you don't have to worry about the traffic and parking!
Cousin Adriane flew in from Idaho, and I drove up from Richmond, and Aunt Becca hosted us in her home in Alexandria. The three of us don't get to see each other very much, and Adriane had never been to DC, so this trip was awesome!
 |
| First night, really late, after we'd arrived. |
On the first day, we visited 3 Smithsonian museums that none of us had ever been to. I love the Smithsonian museums (and bonus - they are all free!).
 |
| National Museum of the American Indian |
 |
| Some pretty neat Native American animal art |
 |
| National Museum of African American History & Culture |
 |
| This is a cool reflection room with water falling from the ceiling and quotes on the walls to ponder. |
 |
| National Postal Museum - some people might not find this one interesting, but we loved it! Fun activities for kids if you have those (: For instance - make your own stamps (see below) |

The activities we did and on what days we did them are kind of blurred together in my mind, but one night we walked around the monuments, one morning we explored Georgetown and got amazing food at Falafel Inc and cupcakes at my favorite place - Baked and Wired. We went to Great Falls National Park to go hiking, walked along the Tidal Basin, walked past the White House to some fancy area of town with lots of pink paper lantern things, at more yummy food, laughed too much while watching 2 Hallmark movies, sat and looked at kites during the kite festival and got ice cream in Old Town Alexandria <3 below="" for="" info.="" more="" p="" pics="" see="">
 |
| Fancy macaron place in Georgetown. |
 |
| Skip Georgetown Cupcakes and go where the locals go - Baked & Wired |
 |
| Where I wish I could have hung out! |
 |
| This place is amazing! Food is so cheap and good AND they give back to help refugees. |
3>
Comments