I <3 DC
There is no way I can update everyone on everything that's happened the last two months in D.C. So, I'll just update you on the highlights.
January 20, 2009 - Inauguration
Somehow I scored an inauguration ticket the day before inauguration! However, that day I ended up standing in a mob of people who never got even close to the security gates. I blame Washington D.C. planning committee for horrible organization on inauguration day. But, whatever. Luckily, I had been invited to join the Utah Delegation Reception in the Senate Hart Building, so I went there to watch inauguration in the warmth with hot chocolate and treats and
my Barlow Center friends.

AIPAC
Every Friday we have amazing briefings with speakers who are influential in D.C. One Friday we went to the American-Israeli Political Affiars Committee's headquaters. We all sat around a board meeting room table as we learned about the Arab-Israeli conflict. I think this picture gives good insight into my future as a top executive of a company..or the country.

Dinner Party
We go out to eat a lot...it's a drain on my budget. In order to save money, sometimes I go along and just drink water. It drives the waiters crazy--I always leave a dollar for tip though!

Warm Weather
It's hardly ever warm in D.C., so when it is we take advantage of the sunshine and do things like go to the zoo! We wanted to get a picture with the elephant...too bad it is not much of a view. The best part is that I was wearing a short-sleeve shirt! Afterwards we went to an Indian resturant and then out to ice cream.


Visiting Home
One of the best parts of the District is that it is two hours from home! President's day weekend 98% of the Barlow students traveled to NYC, but I went home. I love the people in Richmond. I loved watching the youth play basketball and remembering when that was me! Here's Liz and I wearing pink on Valentine's Day.

Museums
And of course, what would be my experience here without all of the museums, monuments, and historic cites. My favorite museum is probably the National Gallery of Art (not just because they sell gelato ice cream there), but I love them all. This past weekend Sage, Jared, Trevor, and I went to the natural history. Our pictures really show how artistic and creative we are.
Once I had a roommate tell me I look like a panda bear.
Well, I hope you can tell that I love it here. Everyday things I happen that I could never have imagined. Life is great! I have a job that I can't wait to go to everyday. I meet people from all over the country. I'm serving my country. My friends are amazing. What more could I ask for?
More to come...


Comments