Nine of My Favorite Memories from the D.C. Barlow Center

I'm still missing my old life in D.C. at the Barlow Center a lot! Those 3.5 months were 3.5 of the greatest months of my life. Here are 9 of my favorite memories. If you were a Barlow Intern too, feel free to share your memories.

Memories from the Barlow
Playing murderer in the dark in the basement of the Barlow
I wonder what the neighbors thought when they heard all the screaming! Can you imagine 20 Young adults crawling around in the dark and climbing over the air hockey table as they try not to get their neck squeezed by the murder in the dark?
Capture the Flag at Freedoms Foundation
You can read the BEST explanation of our capture the flag adventure HERE at Lauren’s blog, but needless to say I had a blast crawling through the grass through enemy territory in all black and not getting caught, but not managing to capture the flag either.
Barlow Talent Show
From Jason’s Viva la Vida to Brad’s birthday surprise to our rendition of Twilight to Dr. Barnes and Dr. Bowen’s 17 best kept secrets of the Barlow = Best Talent Show ever
Fire Alarms
Happened about 5-6 times total. Usually accompanied by a loss of hot water or Internet connection. I can’t complain – I set one off myself by making scrambled eggs for breakfast one morning.
"Getting our Lost On"
Jared, Trevor, and I every Wednesday night without fail. Well, there was that one time Jared and I watched it without Trevor – sorry about that, but Lost is too good to resist.
Dome tour of the Capitol
This event has nothing to do with the Barlow Center or anyone at the Barlow Center, but it was one my most amazing experiences in D.C.! The view of D.C from the Capitol Dome is breathtaking at the least.
Trying to get on the roof of the Barlow
One day several of us got pumped up because Maggie left town and gave Andrew D. her Barlow keys. We had heard stories about a previous Barlow group using the keys to get on the roof of the Barlow, so we planned out our roof adventure throughout the evening. When we tried to use the keys to get up there that night, we realized that the Blanchards had learned from experience and had changed the lock so that none of the AA’s keys would work. At least we tried.
Aerobics video with Elise
Elise and I, and Kristen on one occasion, liked to do aerobics in the basement in our spandex. Thankfully none of the boys ever came into the room when we did this…but unfortunately Br. Blanchard did venture in once. Haha. Too funny, I’m glad he got out of there pretty fast.
Pillow Talk with Kristen
Kristen was the best roommate hands down. Pillow talk was always hilarious, but Kristen made everything fun, from our infrequent runs to visiting museums, I was always glad Kristen was there. I miss this girl! I always think of things I need to tell her, but she isn't right there anymore!

Comments

Erin said…
Oh my sin, ok here are some of my favorites from the Barlow:
1. Watching the boy play Risk, as they called each other names like Lord Jim, etc.
2. Sneaking Thanksgiving leftovers in the lobby kitchen
3. OUR talent show was the best, sorry... but it was... it included a reenactment of the SNL's Palin and Clinton skit
4. Dyeing my hair red 3 times in the Barlow center bathroom... but blaming the red color on the shower curtain at checkout as mold we couldn't get rid off (which was actually true).
5. Endless non committal cuddle sessions in which almost everyone seemed to participate
6. Using my floor leader everywhere-accessible key to sneak around and explore forbidden parts of the Barlow
7. Best of all though were the lunch reunions all us Barlowites had the semester after our internships... while we were back at BYU

Popular Posts