Let's see if I can put what I'm thinking into words...

Right now I'm watching 17 Miracles with my grandparents (who are sleeping through it) and reflecting on the miracles I've seen the last 18 months and throughout my life. During my mission and since, I've realized how silly this blog, and how silly most of my life and my thinking has been. Which is no big deal, and I'm still pretty silly most of the time, but I feel like if I'm going to take time to blog, it should be something that helps someone else out there.

As a missionary, I saw big and small miracles everyday. My 2nd companion bought a poster board and every day we would write down the miracles we had seen before going to bed. Some of them were ridiculous, like "Sister Burton did not die today when she got hit by a car" or "Sister Lewis did not kill Sister Burton for burning the breakfast this morning." But others were huge, "Kandy set a baptismal date!" or "We found 5 new investigators today!" I'm so grateful for the little miracles. They were evidence to me of a loving God who is doing all he can for every one of His children, and the miracles provided motivation for me to put complete trust in Him.

I never really noticed miracles before serving, and as my mission was wrapping up, I was determined that when I came home I would continue to expect and facilitate miracles in my life and in the lives of others. I've seen many already, so I'll post them here and share some from my mission over time. I've also realized many miracles that have occurred since I was little that have gotten me to where I am today - in the happiest place and state of mind I've ever been! If inspired, I'll share some of those too.

Sister Andreason was a senior sister serving with her husband at the Mesa Temple Visitors' Center, and she (or maybe it was her husband) had surgery and had to stay away from the Visitors' Center for a few weeks. When she returned she told each of us sisters that there was a void in her life each day she didn't share her testimony because it was hard to do that away from the Visitors' Center.  I decided at that moment that I do not want that void in my life, so I will share my testimony at least one time a day. That's what this blog is now. A record of the moments when I share my testimony and see miracles each day. I think there is a link between the two. If I open my mouth and share with everyone around me what I know to be true (family, friends, strangers, neighbors), then I will see miracles in my life and the lives of those I love.

First Miracle...

Yesterday I got a letter from my last companion, Sister Gordon. I love this sister! She was exactly who I needed to be with my last transfer. I was serving in the Mesa Stake, and 6 weeks before coming home, I was told I would be leaving my area to serve with Sister Gordon in the Salt River Stake. She and I decided that we would stop and talk to EVERYONE we saw. Our missions were not our time, they were the Lord's time.

For the last 4 months there, I was called to organize the musical numbers for the Mission President's Firesides. These are special meetings where President Ellsworth and several recent converts speak, and the missionaries provide the music. There's a catch though! We as missionaries could only go if we brought an investigator with us. It is so hard to get investigators to commit and come, but for the first 3 I was in charge of, we were able (miraculously) to get investigators there. My faith grew so much as a result of working on the music for the firesides. Somehow, everything always worked out and the other missionaries who committed to sing or play piano were able to find investigators too. Then it was the last fireside in November. A week before I came home. I decided to play a piano solo, and Sister Gordon and I invited everyone we could. Several investigators said they would come. We got to the fireside and 15 minutes before it started everyone called and CANCELED! No!!! Oh no. Well, I grabbed an elder and gave him my piano book and he miraculously knew a song and said he would play one, and we left. I was in tears as we drove back to our area, but Sister Gordon reminded me that we did all we could, so there was a reason we needed to be in our area. HERE'S THE GOOD PART! Sister Gordon was driving and she said, "we need to stop and talk to that guy." It was dark and I hadn't seen anyone, but Sister Gordon turned around, we hopped out and ran across the street and walked up to Cody. He was on a 4 mile run and had stopped to walk for a minute- we probably wouldn't have approached him if he had been running. We found out Cody was a member but hadn't been to church in a long time because he was only 18 and his family moved to Virginia. He didn't feel like he needed to go anymore. Just so you know, I was super awkward and said, "Cody! This is really awkward! But we just love you and need you at church!" He wasn't in our ward, but we got his information and gave it to the elders in the singles' ward.

Fast forward to yesterday. In Sister Gordon's letter she said that she talked to the elders and Cody has been at church the last 2 Sundays. To quote her "Cody said that we freaked him out so much by stopping to talk to him that he knew he needed to go back to church. Your awkwardness saved one soul!"

What a blessing! I was in my driveway reading the letter and I started crying in front of the neighbors who were raking their lawn. Oh well! When I read that I wanted to go back to Mesa right away and be with Sister Gordon and share more miracles together, but they continue to happen here, and I am happy!

Love,

Ashley

Comments

Lildonbro said…
"Your awkwardness saved one soul!" That's a fabulous line that I would love for someone to say to me some day.

Ashley, I just love you and I'm glad you're back! I understand the desire to go back to Mesa though, what a wonderful experience you have had and a great opportunity for learning and growth. I know you'll continue to grow here in Richmond (or wherever you may go).

Popular Posts