Flouriot's Miracle

Flouriot is a young girl who lives in a small community by the beach in Haiti. Christine, one of our public health interns this summer, met her and has become one of her greatest advocates. Flouriot suffers from scleromalacia perforans - a serious eye condition that is causing her to go blind in both eyes - and if it gets serious enough (which it is) the person with the condition can lose their eyes.

Growth on Flouriot's eye

Flouriot has been to several doctors in Haiti, but none of them could diagnose her condition and they were all unwilling to try anything. Christine and I reached out to Pam Cope (with Touch A Life Kids Foundation) who was extremely helpful. We were on the path to getting Flouriot to the United States for Medical Treatment which was a blessing, but a very long road of visa appointments and finding financial sponsors.

On August 18th, we had to leave Haiti a little unsure if Flouriot would be able to make it to the United States. And this is where the craziest miracles begin. First, one of our volunteers was very sick the morning of the flights, and couldn't even get out of bed. Another volunteer packed for him, others gave him a Priesthood blessing, and we finally rolled out of Leogane an hour late. Then we hit traffic. Then the 3 volunteers, including Christine, missed their early flight. I was fine, since I had a later flight, but I knew they were frustrated. Christine got called first for stand-by on the next flight and tried to trade places with the sick volunteer, but they wouldn't allow her because the seat was in an emergency exit row, and they needed someone healthy to sit there. So, Christine took the spot.

Christine texted me later to tell me she had an amazing miracle to share, and this is her story :)
Although she never talks to people on planes, she decided to say hi to the lady next to her. Probably because we had been in Haiti so long where everyone is friendly and talkative to everyone else. They started a conversation, and the lady happens to be an author and publisher who is currently writing the biography of Haiti's president. When she found out that Christine is applying for med school, she told Christine that her sister is an eye doctor who comes with other eye doctors to perform eye care in Port-Au-Prince every year. When Christine heard this she couldn't believe it and began to share everything about Flouriot. This lady promised to get in touch with her sister to see what they can do. If we hadn't had missed the first flight, Christine would have never met this woman.

I texted Christine last night and got an update. The author's sister is going to meet with Flouriot for free.

We have a God in Heaven who cares about every single one of His sons and daughters here on earth. Flouriot, a 14 year old in a small village outside a small city in Haiti. Sometimes, I think about Haiti's history and all the trials they have had and think for a second that it is a God-forsaken country. Then I hear stories like this and get to see them for myself, and I know that God has not abandoned Haiti. He loves His children there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sister Burton, I have been following your activities there in Haiti and I just read your miracle story. It gave me chills to read about how very dear children are to our Heavenly Father. It also made me happy to know that you are still acquainted with miracles. Like the miracles in the Mission field. You are such a sweet heart! I'm happy you are getting home safely! Thank you for sharing such a sweet story and I hope and pray this sweet little girl will keep the miracle of her sight! Take care and stay in touch! Love, Sister Shaw, (Mesa, AZ Mission).

Popular Posts