I'm leaving Haiti in less than one week, but I don't want to think about it! Yesterday, we traveled to PAP to drop off Jonny who is now in Mexico working on another project. We stopped by a normal grocery store in PAP, and it was so strange - as great as it was to get some m&m's and pizza.
Here's a little bit from our Haiti lives recently!
 |
| Big Waterfall - 7 hours hiking total |
 |
| AMAZING Nerlande teaching in K-monsil |
 |
| Ward trip to la-Cayes - playing games |
 |
| More ward games - go Stanley! |
We went to one orphanage for probably the last time on Sunday. AHHHHH. I love these kids.
 |
| Beautiful new LDS church in PAP |
 |
Welfare center in PAP
There are two types of ice cream trucks in Haiti, the soft serve kind seen in this picture, and then the wheelbarrow with speakers and a cooler full of ice cream bars. The speakers blast a song that says "crem maie" over and over and "kenz goud, kenz goud." Once you've heard it a few times, you can pick it out over all the loud noise in Leogane. On Saturday, Matt and I really wanted to get ice cream for everyone, but we couldn't find the ice cream truck in the streets or the market. We decided that if we heard the music later in the day, we would get it. I fell asleep, and apparently one of my eyes was open and moving around, and Matt tried to take a picture. I woke up to him with his camera focused on me. We laughed about it, but then he couldn't find the pic on his camera and he was searching for it. A minute later he said, "was that the ice cream truck music??" I heard it off in the distance too. Half awake, and with one of my contacts sticking to my eye so that I could barely open my eye, I ran out into the street and looked both ways - but could not see the ice cream man. I yelled to our neighbor "kikote crem maie?" and they pointed to the left. I yelled for Jonny (who was standing at the gate staring at me like I was crazy) to run with me after the ice cream man. We found him just down the street a couple of blocks :)
|

After all those ice cream adventures on Saturday, we relaxed outside our house and did family band in the street. We passed around the guitar and the water drum and amused the neighbors and motos going by.
 |
| Matt in the busy Chatuley Market |
Comments