Blessings of Being Jobless

Coming home from Haiti a second time has been a little rough for me, as well as several other volunteers that were with me this summer. There is always a slight culture shock coming home and questions such as- how can we feel the happiness we felt there? How can we continue to find opportunities to serve? How can we show as much love here in America like we did there and not feel weird about it? Additionally, a couple of us have been searching for jobs. Whenever I'm unemployed, I get slightly depressed, have trouble waking up in the morning and getting motivated. And I feel a little less gratitude for my blessings and wonder what exactly God is thinking about my life. I've been trying to snap out of that attitude, and this morning I felt more positive. I took some time to mediate like I used to do almost daily in Haiti. I've realized that this time in my life is precious, just like any other time when I have a job. And here are some specific blessings from this "trial":

-I've had and still have more time to spend with my family. I had an entire week to hang out with my sister before she left for college
-My family is about to move into a new home, so I'm able to help them prepare, back boxes, ect.
-While I miss my friends in Haiti and all my friends out in Utah, I have so many amazing friends here in Richmond that I need to see and talk to
-Even though I keep getting rejection emails from companies, as I continue searching for new jobs, I've discovered organizations I never knew about that are doing good in the world, including Haiti. They may not all have job openings at this time, but there are individuals in these organizations I've been able to connect with, and these connections will be valuable in the future as I continue working in Haiti throughout my life

Each day in life is a time to prepare for the next day, so I'm going to look at this time as a preparation stage for whatever is to come in the future. Preparation is very important, so what a blessing that God is not rushing this time for me. He is giving me sufficient time to prepare and build a foundation for the good to come.

Have a great day! And if you feel like you are not progressing in life right now - know that miracles will come as you press forward in faith.

Comments

Kyz said…
hello. I read your profile on mormon.org and loved the part about how prayer has helped you. i wanted to say thank you. i really needed those words in this moment :-) Kylie,(New Zealand)
Ash said…
Thanks Kylie! That's so kind of you. Do you have a blog - I'd love to follow it!
Kyz said…
You're so welcome :) I used to but haven't blogged since 2 kids ago. lifeontheesplanade.blogspot.co.nz. I might start a new one soon...

Popular Posts