24 Hours in Mesa

I had the opportunity to visit my mission - Mesa, Arizona - this past weekend along with 5 other girls I served with, another roommate and the boyfriend of one of my roommates. We drove about 24 hours total (there and back) and spent about 24 hours there. I couldn't see everyone I wanted to, but I feel that the people I saw, I was supposed to see. And, I also got to stay with a companion - Sister Lewis - on the way down to Mesa.

July 2012 and then this weekend. Almost 3 years since Kaleena and her oldest were baptized. I love this family so much! Kaleena is an amazing single mother. She teaches her children so well. They all came running up to Mary, Megan and me and were so loving. She had us say a prayer before we left, and it reminded me so much of being a missionary.


After visiting Kaleena, we made stops to get our favorite Mesa food at Ned's crazy subs and Bahama bucks!



After the Easter Pageant, where we ran into Teeeena (yes her name is spelled that way, and it was a tender mercy to see her!) we walked around the Temple grounds, listened to the Christus and got to catch up with the Livingstons. They are a wonderful senior couple that I served with, and I never got to say goodbye. It was such a blessing to see them!!




Then, we went and saw Brother Long!! He was such a wonderful ward mission leader. Actually 3 of the families are visited were WML families. As missionaries, you really get to know and love your ward mission leaders. Brother Long shared a miracle with Sister Parker (Mary) and me. When we served in his ward, we really focused on reaching out to less-active families. One couple had never been seen at church. No one knew them, so Sister Parker and I decided to stop by. Well, they had no reason for not coming to church, they still believed in the church, they had just slowly stopped coming! The next Sunday they came, and every Sunday after that. And we met with them weekly just to review the lessons with them. Well, guess what! Brother Long told us that that man, Brother Warren, is now the ward mission leader of the Solomon Ward! WHAT A BLESSING! We made a difference. I'm so happy.

Brother Long, Me and Sister Parker

Friday night, I was dropped off at the home of my mission trainer, Sister Everette. She lives in Mesa now! It was soooo good to see her. It's been 3 and 1/2 years, but we still keep in touch. Saturday morning, we visited the home of the Higginsons (first wml I ever met on my mission) for breakfast and then visited the Bothwells who we lived with.

Higginsons, Sister Everette, me - we sat on that couch every week for correlation!
After those visits, we spent more time at the Visitors' Center and the Temple. I got to see Sister Rachel Tyler - a wonderful friend that visited me in Richmond 2 years ago after my mission. Then after the Temple, the Ellsworths (My mission president and his wife) were standing outside the Temple waiting for us to surprise us! It was wonderful catching up with them before grabbing some authentic Mexican food (one of my favorite things about Mesa) and heading back to Provo!
Las Sendas - My last area, Sister Parker's first

Getting tired from all the driving

Sister Hamstead and me with Rachel Tyler



Comments

Lildonbro said…
How fun to be able to return to your mission. It reminds me of my failed attempt to visit you at the Mesa Temple Visitors Center... :)

Popular Posts