I love 中国 Zhōngguó China

I made it into China! They let me into the country, and I am growing and learning every day. I was most surprised by how much it seems like America, except for Chinese people, food and the language everywhere. Also surprised that the city I’m living in outside of Shanghai has 6 million people in it! WOW.

I teach 8 university classes a week (Freshman English Speaking, Sophomore Business Listening and Speaking and a news reading class). Once a week I’m also teaching a group of 7 women who are preparing to move to the United States, and twice a week I teach a group of 7-year-olds who are quite rambunctious. The non-university jobs were just opportunities I picked up once I got here for some extra fun-spending cash.

Quick miracle, and then I’ll overload you with pictures!

On Sunday, I was making the journey to church in a neighboring city, Suzhou. This journey includes a 50 minute bus ride, then a 15 minute high-speed train, then another 20-30 minute subway ride, then a 15 minute walk. After the train, I was getting a little confused by the subway – where to go?!? At that moment I look up, and there is one of the members I met my first day with her husband. They helped me find my way. That was my miracle. That member, Monica, is so cool. She is from Mexico and is teaching English here. She met her husband one day when she was commenting how she might die if she rode a motor bike. He overheard and told her she wouldn’t die. They ended up getting each other’s contact information and started dating. He is a Chinese native and had to go to Hong Kong to meet with missionaries and get baptized, so he did, and they got married on Christmas day last year.
Monica taught relief society and shared this beautiful story about when she was serving her mission in Mexico. Her mission was the most dangerous drug gang area of Mexico. One day, she and her companion were walking through a park, and heard some loud noises. Monica’s companion said, we need to run NOW. They ran and hid behind some trees, just as two gangs were walking into the park and started open firing at each other. In the middle of this were 4 young children. They saw the oldest girl run and grab each of the 3 children and cover them all with her own little body. The children survived. I love that. Women have inherent nurturing instincts, and thus all women are mothers – whether or not they have children. That little girl was a mother in her own way at that moment.


Now for some pictures!

Spiced Corned Egg?

English Corner

A pagoda on campus

Library

Another pagoda on campus



pollution makes it possible to look at the sun!

my new favorite drink - cantaloupe milk
Seline, my assistant, and some tea flowers

Comments

Popular Posts