老师 Lǎoshī Teacher



Today was the first day of my second semester teaching at Jiangnan University. Summer felt so long, so I was ready to get back to teaching again. What's really cool is that most of my students are freshmen, so in today's 8:00 a.m. class, I was the students' first university professor ever! They looked slightly nervous (: But of course once I showed them pictures of my cat and told them this is the funnest class they'll have in college, they warmed up to me.

For their first class of the semester, we went over class rules, set goals, played a name game (because it's my goal to learn all of my students' names this semester - and I have about 200 of them) and learned how to start a conversation with a westerner when you meet them. At the beginning of my second class, I told the students about my life and asked them if they had any questions. One girl raised her hand and asked, "do you have a husband?" I laughed and told her no. Then later, I taught about how when you meet a westerner you shouldn't ask about their salary, their age or their relationship status, and she was a little embarrassed. But I told them they can ask me whatever they want. I also told them it isn't polite to take pictures of people without asking them. Then after class about 10 girls came up and asked if they could take pictures with me hahah. Guess they learned something today.

My (least) favorite thing is the English names that they pick out for themselves. In one class there is a Shirley, Sherry, Shelia, Chelly and Jelly. WOW. Also a Turtle, Tulip and Gardenia. They also tend to like older names, such as Doris, Nancy and Betty. Another class has Ani, Amy, Alley, Abby and Eddie, Serene and Serena.

I'm excited for a new semester and can't wait to share all of the funny things that happen in class!

♥ Ash

Comments

Popular Posts