Haiti to Home

I'm back in the United States! I can't even try to explain how much I love Haiti and the Haitians and how I have changed and grown in just three weeks. I'll share experiences of my trip soon, but wanted to share the miracle I had yesterday.

I left Haiti at 1:15 p.m. and landed in Miami around 3:00. On the way down to Haiti I had a fifteen hour layover over-night that I spent in a seat in the airport, and it was the worst 15 hours of my life! So this time, with the same layover ahead of me, I asked if they could put me on an earlier flight to Charleston (where I'm staying with my family for a few days). The guy told me the flight was full, but they could change it for $150 if I did business class. I told him I would try to find a hotel. Well, the hotel in the airport was $135, so I figured $25 more was worth it (because I was determined not to sit in a chair even if it is free). I went to the guy again and asked if there was any chance at getting stand-by, but he said it wasn't an option, and then he dropped the price to $75! Awesome! I took the deal, and landed in Charleston at 9:30 p.m. It was a BIRTHDAY miracle.

It was probably one of the saddest birthdays I can remember, just because I was so sad to leave Haiti. As I boarded my flight from Miami to Charleston, I felt a wave of longing for Haiti, and the lady in front of me turned around, saw my Haiti shirt, and told me she was from there! That was a tender mercy right as I was about to cry thinking about Haiti. We talked in Creole for a minute, and I got to hear her story. She shared with me that after the 2010 earthquake, she couldn't reach her family in Haiti for 3 months. She said she cried every night the first week after the earthquake. Eventually, 3 months later, she got word that they had survived.

I can't believe I'm home. I felt like I was there for one day at most :) I can't wait to go back someday and see the beautiful friends I made there. I'm grateful for the hand of the Lord that led me there and brought me home safely.

Comments

Popular Posts