Mosquitos and Miracles

"if you want a miracle - be a miracle!"

That was advice given in a stake conference talk tonight - stake conference was full about messages of miracles, angels and the hastening of the work of the Gospel. Miracles are HAPPENING people!

I have to share some of the miracles/thoughts shared/felt in stake conference. One of the speakers went to the Philippines after the hurricane to help in relief efforts. In one area he visited, he met man who had been asked to have 18-ish children stay in his typical unsturdy hut home during the hurricane. As the hurricane came and water filled the hut, he helped each individual climb up onto the rafters of the home. The home was protected from the worst of the storm as all of the trees in the area fell down around the house and kept waves from crashing onto it. I love how the trees falling down was seen as a miracle and blessing. In another story, a 6-year old was taken out to the ocean in a wave as was a military sergeant. The sergeant climbed onto the roof of a home that was being tossed and covered by waves. He saw the little boy barely making it and was able to get to him and assist him onto the roof. They held on for six hours before they landed on a nearby island - ALIVE!! One more! A patriarch has a binder full of papers, including patriarchal blessings that had not yet been sent to Salt Lake (so there was no other record of them). He rushed home after the hurricane and found the binder in his ruined home. Every paper in it was completely destroyed, except for all of the Patriarchal blessings-which were dry. God sure does love His children.

President Waters spoke last, and I thought about a recent talk I read that said through small and simple things, we can make a great difference in hastening the work of building the Lord's kingdom on the earth. President Waters did that for my family. When he came to my house to set me apart as a missionary, he asked my father and brother to join in the setting apart. My brother didn't serve a mission, so I'm grateful that he was able to be part of mine in that way, and I know that invitation made a difference in his life. I'm grateful for the small acts of kindness that lead to miracles every day. again - if you want a miracle, be one! as was also mentioned in the talk - "if you think you cannot make a difference in the world, think of a mosquito in a tent, and then think again!" You CAN make a difference by facilitating miracles in the lives of those around you.

(that quote totally reminded me of a night in Haiti last summer when a mosquito got under my mosquito net somehow, and I couldn't sleep for fear I'd wake up with bites all over me... which I did. Not quite sure that had anything to do with any miracles :)

Comments

Popular Posts