Lapli (Rain)

This past Wednesday, I was able to go with some of volunteers to Trouin for my first time. This community is up in the mountains, and I was amazed at how remote we were going on rocky roads through the mountain. When we finally got to the village, we hit a paved road! It was so random. 

When we first arrived in Trouin, we spent a few minutes at the orphanage there playing hide and seek with the kids. Because Trouin is so remote, these children do not get visitors as often as the orphanages in Leogane. They were a little shy at first, but once we started playing games they were really excited and gave us a good workout running around!

Next, Jonny showed me the grounds for a new garden that we will help plant. Community members just finished tilling the ground last week. After that, I watched Michelle, Jonny, Matt and Kiana teach English and then participated in a practice health lesson one of the community health workers was teaching. She was awesome! After the first practice, we gave her some feedback, and then she incorporated that into her other two lessons. She taught us about pregnancy, pre-natal care and breastfeeding. She'll be a great asset to Trouin.

Jonny and the future garden

Jonny and Michelle teach English then Agriculture

Kiana and Matt teach English before training a community health educator

Prayers were answered, and it rained last night! Jonny, Michelle and I were helping some friends in a garden, and it started pouring. We finished our work and then ran with the children the 10 minutes or so back to our house. After taking a picture, Jonny and I went back out to watch a soccer game in the streets and ended up getting recruited by some children and teenagers to start a soccer game of our own. Thanks for the rain prayers!


Wood, Davi, Elisa, Jonny, Jenson, Michelle, Me - soaked after running home in the rain

Comments

Lildonbro said…
Ha! Maybe I should read all post before commenting :) So the rain came! Yay!

Popular Posts