Three Earthquake Miracles

Yesterday I visited the English classes in Leogane to see how things are going. I had the opportunity to talk to one of the teachers and two of my former students about their experiences during the 2010 earthquake. First, you have to know that everyone in Haiti is so happy. Yeah, they get angry or sad sometimes, but usually they are over it really quickly and are smiling and laughing. Despite all that they have been through, they push through. When I talk with people about the earthquake, the smiles go away, and they are very quiet and thoughtful - and their stories amaze me. But after they share, they are back to their normal, happy selves.

Michele


Michele is 35 years old, and at the time of the earthquake was standing outside his house. Unfortunately, others in his family were inside and were either injured or killed. He told me that his girlfriend died, his house collapsed, and his mother has been traumatized since the earthquake. Michele has overcome these challenges. Currently, he is teaching art and English here in Leogane. 

Wesley
 Wesley is one of my very favorite people in Haiti. I largely attribute my being here this summer to a miracle he facilitated last summer. He is probably the funniest person I've ever met, and he never stops talking or laughing. Sometimes it drives me crazy, but it has made me so happy on days that I'm fatigued and stressed. So I was not surprised at all when I asked him where he was during the earthquake, and he said "in a mango tree picking mangoes!" haha So much like him. Every time during English class when we hear mangoes fall onto the roof and to the ground, he runs and says "Mango falling!" and brings it to either me or another English teacher. I'm so grateful he was in that tree and not in a house. He said that he held on to the tree and prayed. Dust was everywhere and he was scared for everyone in Haiti.

Mackenson
Ah! Mackenson! This kid was somewhat of a frustrating student. He would interrupt me every other sentence to say "Teacher! I have a question!" After a while I had to talk with him after class to ask him to raise his hand before asking questions and that if he couldn't follow this rule, he would have to leave. He rewarded me for my chastising with a present my last day of teaching. He is so sweet and I just love him so much, just not when I'm trying to teach :) Anyway, he quieted down for a minute when I was asking him about the earthquake. He said, "it was my birthday." Shocked, Michele said, "what it was your birthday?" When Mackenson confirmed it, Michele kind of pity-laughed and said sorry. How horrible! Every year on his birthday, he's reminded of the earthquake. Mackenson wouldn't say much else, but he agreed that it is a miracle he is alive. I'm so impressed by his desire to take English. Even though our class ended, he is still going to the other class every evening. 

Comments

Lildonbro said…
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad they were all ok!

Popular Posts