Fairness

I'm bursting with miracles to share as well as my adventures in Beijing this past weekend. But those will have to come later. Because I went to Beijing, well actually because I'm in China, there was a delay getting General Conference (special church mtg. twice a year when leaders of the church speak to the entire membership, sharing topics and testimonies they feel inspired to share). There are two sessions of conference on Saturday, and two on Sunday. I just finished watching all of the Saturday morning talks - and feel so humbled and grateful for Jesus Christ and His Gospel. These talks touched my heart and have brought tears - and the last one by one of the newest apostles - Elder Dale. G. Renlund, was the perfect one to watch last today. He spoke about fairness. I just want to share a few of his words.

Such a happy man, right?!

First, let me say that while I live an amazing life full of blessings I am so grateful for, at times I feel that some things in my life are not fair. And I felt that feeling strongly this morning as I was getting ready for the day. 

Now from Elder Renlund:

"The more we distance ourselves from Them, the more entitled we feel. We begin to think that we deserve grace and are owed blessings. We are more prone to look around, identify inequities, and feel aggrieved—even offended—by the unfairness we perceive. While the unfairness can range from trivial to gut-wrenching, when we are distant from God, even small inequities loom large. We feel that God has an obligation to fix things—and fix them right now!"

"Nephi must have recognized that life would be the most unfair for Jesus Christ. Though absolutely innocent, the Savior would suffer the most."

WOW - Christ understands unfairness... his life was more unfair than anyone's!

Elder Renlund shares a story about a woman in a congregation in South Africa who was in Sacrament Meeting at church. The deacon passing the Sacrament didn't see her, and didn't give her the Sacrament. Someone noticed and told the Bishop. During Sunday School the Bishop had someone take her to a room and bless the Sacrament for her, so she could partake of the bread and the water. 

"Thereafter, Diane had two thoughts in rapid succession: First, 'Oh, he [the priesthood holder] did this just for me.' And then, 'Oh, He [the Savior] did this just for me.' Diane felt Heavenly Father’s love....

The sacrament truly helps us know our Savior. It also reminds us of His innocent suffering. If life were truly fair, you and I would never be resurrected; you and I would never be able to stand clean before God. In this respect, I am grateful that life is not fair.
At the same time, I can emphatically state that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, ultimately, in the eternal scheme of things, there will be no unfairness. 'All that is unfair about life can be made right.' Our present circumstances may not change, but through God’s compassion, kindness, and love, we will all receive more than we deserve, more than we can ever earn, and more than we can ever hope for. We are promised that 'God shall wipe away all tears from [our] eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.'"
He gives these invitations and promises: "No matter where you stand in your relationship to God, I invite you to draw nearer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the Ultimate Benefactors and Givers of all that is good. I invite you to attend sacrament meeting each week and partake of the holy emblems of the Savior’s body and blood. I invite you to feel God’s nearness as He is made known to you, as He was to the disciples of old, in the 'breaking of [the] bread.' As you do, I promise that you will feel nearer to God."
I know life isn't fair, but now I have a better understanding of how Christ suffered that condition too. And why that is ok. And I am so grateful for the times in my life when I have drawn nearer to God by participating in Sacrament Meeting and remembering Jesus Christ. The greatest wish I have for all of my friends and family is that they feel God's love as I have. His love is the most important need in my life and brings the most joy. It is so hard for me to see a lack of that in other's lives when it is there for the taking, a free gift for all who come unto Christ and follow His commandments. I love you all and offer the same invitations as Elder Renlund and know that as you do, you will feel nearer to God, and thus feel his love for you, him strengthening you and him guiding you to all the best gifts. 

♥ Ash Bash

Comments

Popular Posts