#HongyKong2 and #Macauabunga
I had another little adventure this past weekend. I traveled to Hong Kong for the second time to see my friends Andrew and Monica sealed in the temple. I think I've shared this a few times, but just in case, Andrew is Chinese and Monica is from Mexico, and they met on a bus one day in Changzhou, China. They became good friends and eventually started dating. Monica is a Christian, a member of my church, but Andrew was not Christian. He began learning about the church and was eventually baptized. A couple of months later, they were married on Christmas Day 2015. After Andrew passed his baptism 1-year anniversary, he was able to enter the temple to be sealed to Monica. A sealing means that the couple's marriage is now sealed or bound in Heaven as it is on earth. This ordinance is performed by a man (called a "sealer") who has been given priesthood power and authority to seal in holy temples.
I really wanted to be there for their special day, so I flew to Hong Kong Saturday morning then hopped on a bus to the temple. Unfortunately, I missed the ceremony by about 15 minutes. That was heartbreaking, and I may have gone into the restroom for just a few minutes to cry alone. But, I did get to see them in the temple as they exited the sealing room and was able to give Monica a hug and tell them congratulations. I'm grateful I was able to show my love for them just by trying to be there.
After the temple, my friends Kelsey and AJ took my friend Spencer and me up to Victoria Peak and to get the best egg tarts in Hong Kong. We walked around the mountain for about an hour in order to see beautiful nighttime views of the city below. Afterwards, Spencer and I walked along the waterfront and then rode the famous Star Ferry before eating egg waffles and going back to Kelsey and AJ's.
Sunday morning, we attended church with them. Their congregation is an international one, just like mine here in Suzhou. But it is a lot bigger and even more international than mine. It was a testimony meeting where any members could get up and share their testimonies, and I was strengthened by the faith of these members, many who have lived in Hong Kong for several years.
After church, Spencer and I took a ferry to Macau! I've been wanting to visit Macau since I first got to China, but when I looked up plane tickets from Hong Kong to Macau, it was too expensive. I didn't realize that you could take a ferry over for only about $40 round trip. (ps if you are ever in Hong Kong and want to know how to get to the temple or to Macau, ask me!)
Macau was once under Portugal's rule, and there is still beautiful Portuguese architecture and yummy food. We explored the old part of the city for a couple of hours and then visited Macau's hotel strip. It's similar to Las Vegas, but much cleaner than it (as far as I can remember). We just peeked inside a few of the really cool hotels, like the Parisian and Venetian before heading back to Hong Kong.
![]() |
| Check out that sun! |
Our last stop was Hong Kong Disneyland on Monday! This park is smaller than Shanghai's, but I loved it! The lines were so short that we were able to go on every single ride, see the parades, watch a couple of shows AND ride the 2 best roller coasters again AND get pictures with R2D2 and Chewbacca. Needless to say, it was a super happy day.
![]() |
| Fancy, cute subway to Disney |
Disneyland was much happier than election day, that's for sure. I'm disappointed in the options that we had for this presidential election, but even more disappointed in myself for not researching more and for not voting. I used to be so into politics and always voted. I am grateful for the freedom in the United States to vote. But I've become jaded over the years and less involved. I've made a promise to myself and to God today that I will improve. For the next election, I will do as much research as I can and vote.
♥ Ash


















Comments