Since it's snowing on March 24th/25th, I thought I would share this miracle from 1978 when my mom's family was moving from South Carolina to Maine. From the memory of my grandma, mom and my mom's sister Gayle. It's funny to see the story from 3 different perspectives.

From my grandma in an email she sent the family on Feb. 6th this year: 

The weather report last night said the big snow storm in the northeast is the worst since 1978.  That was the year we all drove up to Maine.  We took two cars, I only had Eric with me and dad had the rest of you.  We spent the 1st night with our friends the Rudy's in Harrisburg, Pa. and than headed on up. For miles we were the only cars on the road except for snow plows.  We had no idea that this was unusual weather, we just thought we were going into the frozen north and that was always how it was in the winter up there.  Our landlord could not believe we made it.  He kept shaking his head and saying how in the world did you get here.  The snow was way up the doors and up to the window sills.  What fun you kids had the next day sliding down the hill behind on house on garbage can lids I think.  Do you all remember that trip.  It was a delightful, but cold year for us.  So glad we had the opportunity.

Aunt Gayle: 

My memory puts me in the car with Eric and Mom.  I remember this little piece of windshield where you had to lean sideways to see out.  I also remember mom saying repeatedly "Sheri, get ahold of yourself this is what it is going to be like for the next year!"  I never thought for a minute that we were in any danger.  I was more worried for Dad and what was going to be waiting for him when we finally met up with him.   Mom, if you were one to swear, which you weren't, I can't imagine what you would have said to Dad.  If my memory serves me correctly, Dad went ahead (maybe he thought we were behind him) and left us on our own.  I don't even think we knew where the hotel was.  Somehow we made it, and you were just so happy to see him, that I don't think he ever knew how upset you were.

And my mom:

My memory puts me in the car with mom too, with her crying and in a panic and not being able to see clearly through the windshield. Also, getting separated from dad. Wasn't he in a moving van? I was pretty scared. Was this the same trip or another time? I still get anxious about driving in the snow. Not so much driving, but as a passenger when someone else is driving. 

Comments

Popular Posts