I Am My Brother's Brother
So there is an amazing drink in Haiti. I don't know what it's called, but the flavoring is similar to Haitian hot chocolate, but it is cold and sort of textured like a frosty. Matt and I took Yves with us to get the drinks on Christmas morning.
While sipping, a young man approached us and asked for one. Matt and I kind of laughed it off and ignored him, but Yves started talking to him. I wasn't really paying attention, buy Yves turned to me and said that in General Conference Elder Holland said "are we not all beggars?" I asked Yves if he thought we should get one for the guy, and he just repeated back to me, "Should we?" Matt said what I was thinking "he's not a beggar." And then Yves quoted Elder Holland again, "I may not be my brother's keeper, but I am my brother's brother." Then, Yves handed the guy the rest of his drink. Matt and I were stunned and humbled by the experience. We figured, we've come to Haiti, we spent money to come here, we're helping orphans, etc. But here was our friend Yves, who only eats about one meal a day, who understood that this guy wanted a delicious drink on Christmas, and he shared his drink with his brother.
I realized, it is really in the small acts of kindness that we become most like Christ and share his love - not so much in the big things like traveling to Haiti to share gifts with orphans. I want to be more like Yves and more like Jesus Christ this year in giving to individuals around me in small, meaningful ways.




Comments