Mr. Jake
Jake Nielsen "Mr. Jake" was my piano teacher for many years, and he is the one who encouraged me to start teaching piano in 10th grade. Eventually, he decided I should have another teacher, but when I came home one summer after college, I had him teach me again. Jake taught me many important lessons, but the one that I think influenced my life the most was to stop saying "I can't." Almost every lesson when Jake would challenge me to do something, I would say "I can't." Eventually, Jake told me that I couldn't say that any more. He wouldn't let me.
Last year, Jake passed away unexpectedly. It was shocking. He had touched my life and so many other young people and families in Richmond. He is someone I miss so much and think about every time I play piano.
Recently, I moved to Provo, and one of my friends from Richmond is in my ward here. He was also one of Jake's piano students. A few Sundays ago, he was doing a special musical number at church, and while he played I thought about Jake and wondered if Jake might be there in Spirit listening to him play. After the meeting, I thanked him for playing and shared with him my thoughts about Jake. He opened his hymn book and in it was a note from Jake - Jake had at one point given him that hymn book for him to play from. I'm sure Jake is most often watching over his family, but maybe he was there that Sunday to bring us comfort.
A few nights ago, my roommate and I were singing and playing guitar in a Christmas music activity. Again, I thought about Jake and hoped that I was making him proud by performing. Something I always said I couldn't do was sing in public, but there I was, trying my best anyway. I am grateful every time I play music that I had a teacher who cared about me. I know I wouldn't have the talents and love of music I have without him.
Thank you, Jake.
Last year, Jake passed away unexpectedly. It was shocking. He had touched my life and so many other young people and families in Richmond. He is someone I miss so much and think about every time I play piano.
Recently, I moved to Provo, and one of my friends from Richmond is in my ward here. He was also one of Jake's piano students. A few Sundays ago, he was doing a special musical number at church, and while he played I thought about Jake and wondered if Jake might be there in Spirit listening to him play. After the meeting, I thanked him for playing and shared with him my thoughts about Jake. He opened his hymn book and in it was a note from Jake - Jake had at one point given him that hymn book for him to play from. I'm sure Jake is most often watching over his family, but maybe he was there that Sunday to bring us comfort.
A few nights ago, my roommate and I were singing and playing guitar in a Christmas music activity. Again, I thought about Jake and hoped that I was making him proud by performing. Something I always said I couldn't do was sing in public, but there I was, trying my best anyway. I am grateful every time I play music that I had a teacher who cared about me. I know I wouldn't have the talents and love of music I have without him.
Thank you, Jake.


Comments