Thai Cam #4 Elephants and Huts

2 days of our week in Thailand were spent with very interesting people from around the world (including a Robert Downey, Jr. look-a-like), elephants and the Karen Long-Neck tribe.

Robert Downey, Jr. AHHH!

The adventure started with a sweaty 3-hour-hike over and down a muddy mountain. I think the best part was when Brianne said, "I haven’t fallen on my bum yet” and fell two seconds later. I laughed and then walked where she just had, started slipping, grabbed the closest tree, then fully slipped all the way to the other side of the tree. And then we watched as everyone else in our group also fell in that spot. We also got attacked by mosquitoes. One of the nice fellow-travelers (noticing many mosquitoes trying to eat me) asked if I wanted some bug spray, but I politely declined as I’d already sprayed myself with my own spray 6 times.

Before the hike got crazy

Our guide this time was Yod. And our driver was Mi. And they were awesome. In our group there were a couple of couples from Holland, a family from France, a couple from Germany, a couple from France and three friends from Portugal. Brianne and I were definitely the most entertaining/happy/dancy two people in the group. Whenever we heard music, we’d sing along and dance… to which one traveler (our new friend Nawal) said, “so this is what you two are going to be like the next two days.” I guess? When Bri told Robert Downey, Jr. who he looked like, he was so humbled/flattered by it and blushed. His wife was like, "I know right? Lucky me!"

Yod!
Mi!
Once we finished the hike, we had arrived at the Karen long-neck tribe’s small village, which is adjacent to where you meet the elephants, and is also were we were staying for the night in a hut. Everyone kind of stared at the tribe and didn’t know how to approach them at first. It’s so sad because they survive off tourism, but I didn’t want them to feel like a human zoo or encourage this sort of lifestyle to continue for more generations. But once Brianne and I finally walked over to look at the souvenirs they were selling, we easily fell in love with them. They are all so sweet and gentle and peaceful. More about them later. (Also - my flip flop broke when I stepped in a muddy-rain puddle, and our guide Yod was able to fix it! I have a bad habit of breaking my shoes in different countries).







Next, we fed a toddler elephant and then rode one of the elephants. We rode bareback instead of on an attached seat, and it was terrifying! We both felt like we would fall off, and our elephant guide just kept laughing at us. But we made it through and enjoyed spending time with the elephant. I know a lot of people don’t feel comfortable with riding elephants as it is not natural for them/they should be living free. And I totally respect that. But I’m grateful I had the opportunity, and I was just in awe at the whole experience.


Good girl!
You're never fully dressed without a smile!








After the ride, we swam in the river for a little bit and then grabbed sodas at the local 7-Eleven (See video and photo below!)







As we were drinking sodas, we saw a rainstorm approaching. Incredible. So we ran undercover by a tribe family and watched them play guitar/dance and then decided to get our hair done. We were expecting a cool bun or something… but ended up with simple ponytails. Cute though? Also, Fun Fact - we just so happened to be in Thailand the same time that the Bachelorette JoJo finale, filmed in Thailand, was shown on TV.



She left the left-side of my hair out of the pony tail for dramatic effect. Also - I know I look huge, but keep in mind this lady is the size of an American 9 year old.
Next was dinner and then a dancing performance by the tribe, and we were able to join in with the dancing. Such a sweet experience learning the dance moves and feeling their love. After dancing ended, a couple of the women and children sat with us and continued singing and playing guitar. I grabbed one guitar and started playing “Nearer My God to Thee” while Bri and I sang. This may be my favorite experience of the whole trip. Playing that song with the beautiful people who listened so kindly – and tried to sing along (: When we finished, one of the guys in our group said, “that was nice” and tried to get me to play more and more. Unfortunately, I haven’t played guitar since leaving the states and could not think of any other songs! Except for Puff the Magic Dragon, which I played and then quickly turned over the guitar. I think the rest of our group stayed up pretty late drinking, but Bri and I retired to our hut by the elephants to chat about our amazing day and to get some rest.






Next post: White water rafting!

Comments

Popular Posts