6th Day of Christmas

Tonight I had the opportunity to attend a Christmas Devotional where leaders from my church (LDS) share stories about Christmas and their thoughts about Jesus Christ.

One speaker encouraged each listener to find a quiet time during the Christmas season to offer heartfelt gratitude to God, "the Generous One" for the blessings in our lives. Another asked if we are willing to live and even die for Christ if it were necessary. Another quoted A Christmas Carol. And I would like to share a quote from it as well.

This is from Scrooge's late business partner, Jacob Marley, who comes to him as a ghost. Jacob Marley is in chains and wants to protect Scrooge from that fate. He says:

"Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"

It held up its chain at arm's length, as if that were the cause of all its unavailing grief, and flung it heavily upon the ground again.

"At this time of the rolling year I suffer most. Why did I walk through the crowds of fell-beings with my eyes turned down, and never raise them to that blessed Star which led the Wise Men to a poor abode? Were there no poor homes to which its light would have conducted me?"

I love that. God's work and glory and business is the immortality and eternal life of all of us! His children. Jesus Christ said that he must be about his father's business. I should be as well. All of us as we make small sacrifices to serve those around us this Christmas season will be coworkers with Christ in our Father's business. Let's not have any regrets when January comes around and Christmas is over.

At the Devotional

SLC Temple

Comments

Popular Posts