Liebster Award
Jessica nominated me for the Liebster Award! I'm not really sure about these interesting blog award thingies, but they always seem like a fun way to get to know other blog writers. Jessica has an awesome one and the cutest baby, so check her blog out! Thanks for the nomination.
Basically, I tell 11 random things about myself and answer 11 questions from Jessica. I then in turn nominate others, but Jessica is one of the few blogs I read - the rest have millions of followers and don't do things like this. So I'll just answer the questions, and then maybe list 11 of my favorite blogs you can go check out.
11 Random Facts about myself:
1. Harry Potter is one of my favorite things ever.
2. I'm working on writing a book about miracles I've witnessed or heard about in Haiti.
3. I have to make up my own dreams in order to fall asleep at night.
4. I kayaked with dolphins one summer.
5. I'm a beach girl. I lived in Cali when I was a little girl and went to the beach almost every day during the week. That love for the water has stuck with me.
6. I ran a marathon in 2013, and have done 2 half marathons and did 2 sprint-triathlons last year. I love running and all sports and forms of exercise.
7. I have a sister who is 7 years younger than me, but looks like my twin. I also have two brothers, a sister-in-law, a semi-adopted brother and 2 nieces.
8. I skipped 2 grades in elementary school and it kind of threw things off, so I graduated from college when I was almost 20.
9. I don't like diamond engagement rings (for myself - on you all, they look great :)
10. My favorite food is avocado and/or guacamole.
11. My 2nd toes are longer than my big toes.
Questions from Jessica:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging in 2008 with a political focus. I was a student at the time at BYU majoring in Political Science and that was a president election year. Over time, the purpose of my blog shifted to miracles.
2. What was your favorite moment/event of 2015?
Wow... I had a kajillion favorite moments in 2015, and expect many more in 2016. I think my favorite moment was visiting Nauvoo, Illinois where my grandparents are serving a mission. Going to the Nauvoo Temple was on my lifetime bucket list, and I was able to cross that off the list. I also got to go inside the home of my 4th great grandfather there. Nauvoo is amazing and such a special place for my family. Go there!
3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Haiti! Ok, I've already lived there, and I don't want to live there permanently. But I miss Haiti so much and would love to live a year or two there. I first went to Haiti in 2013, and the people and culture there changed my life. I will definitely be visiting many more times and working there throughout my life.
4. What is your favorite website?
The National Geographic photo of the day site is one of my favorites that I check out every day! Nat Geo posts photos from random people who travel the world. Check it out!
5. Name one goal you have for next year.
I haven't sat down and written my goals yet - but that's next on my to-do list. I'm going to be living in China for most of the year, so I'm not sure what goals are possible to achieve there. I know I'll be able to travel a lot there, so I'm going to reach for the stars and set a goal to visit Hong Kong - specifically the LDS Hong Kong Temple.
6. What's your favorite color?
Orange has been my favorite color since I was 12 or so. Lately, teal has been right up there.
7. What is your biggest fear?
Shark attack or getting kidnapped. Deep down its failure.
8. What is/was your favorite subject in school?
US History, World History, Statistics, Chemistry. Those were my favorites in high school. At BYU I think my favorite class ever was a class on terrorism. Super enlightening. We even acted out a hostage situation and tried to resolve it. In grad school, my favorite class was on Immigration Policy.
9. What do you want to be when you "grow up"?
A mother. Business owner in Haiti. I want to help rescue child labor slaves in Haiti and everywhere else.
10. What was your favorite book read or movie seen in 2015?
I am a reader, but if I had to pick, I would say my favorite book read in 2015 was The Rent Collector. It's about a family in Cambodia that live by a dump. They earn a living my scavenging through it to find things to sell. It's a fictional story, based on a real family, and it explores what may have happened in their life if they learned to read.
11. Chocolate or vanilla?
Depends. Vanilla cake and frosting. Chocolate ice cream and candy.
Ok - here are 11 blogs that I love, as promised:
The Big Mama Blog
Jason Wright
The Anti-Austen Blog (how I ended up getting a job in China)
The Shine Project
Tell Me About it Sister (blog to help returned sister-missionaries)
From Ms. to Mrs. (for young single adults who are still single)
Where He Leads (blog by a young Christen woman I met in Haiti who does great things!)
Blessed with a Burden (")
Al Fox
Skipping Friday (hilarious blog by my friend Jacob - a Mormon guy trying to deal with dating in Provo)
Going Forth (about a woman helping rescue other women in Haiti)



Comments